Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Monday 29th September

I knocked off at 3.30 and as the girls are on holiday and I did not need to cook I decided to get a small ride in to try and work on my fitness.  I left home at 4 and I headed up Rapaki at a steady pace, the wind was in my face on the way up but at the flat section it was a gusty side wind, no great use to me but had a a cooling effect.  At the top I headed straight up Vernon.  Now the wind was behind me and was quite good.  Not exactly blowing me up the track but eased the burden by a percent or 2.  Got to the top of Hunstbury and the wind was blustering and bloody cold.  I had always intended to come down here so I layered up a top and put my pfmtbc scarfie bandana thing on to keep me warm before setting off.  What a wild ride.  The wind was blowing me all over the palce even on the farm track.  Had to peddle to go down the hill, my helmet was being pulled off my head nearly as the wind blew into it.  Choking me.  By the pylons I was wondering if I would survive to write the blog.  Finally down to the tarmac where I thought it may be better.  No it actually got worse in a few spots and I had some scary moments. I was pleased to be home. An hours ride but a days thrills. Home by 5.10. Meanwhile the Cook knocked off at 5 went home and grabbed his bike.  He was doing my ride in reverse.  He struggled up Huntsbury with side winds blowing him everywhere then across vernon.  First bit was good as he was sheltered from the wind but as he turned for the downward stretch it was totally different.  Into the gail on a downward singletrack.  Frightening.  He then came down Rapaki which was a bit better but lots of walkers spread all over the track.

No comments: