Monday, January 25, 2016

Sunday 24th January

8.30 start so I went outside and there waiting was Bugs, Dozer and Tinkerbell.  I let Bugs oil his creaking joints  and then we had a steady ride around to Gruntsbury.  Nice climb at a constant pace up here with a wee stretch at the Aotea hairpin and then at the 2nd Cattlestop.  Bugs always leading the group ever upward.  Got warm with no wind as we climbed.   At the top we headed straight into Vernon having a nice flow.  Couple of guys let us through and then Bugs and Tinkerbell (who were leading) took the right hand line and I followed Dozer.  We got in front of Tinkerbell and had a fast blast down the hill.  Into Witch Hill.  I cleaned the first rock section but after stopping while Dozer and Tinks messed up the next section things went downhill for me.  The others got a bit of a break and I only caught them on the tarmac run up to Castle Rock.  Bugs led with Dozer and Tinks in front of me.  I should of taken a lead role here but I had fun anyway.  Good blast and no flats.  Up the tarmac we went and into John Brittain for a change.  Nice run and then Greenwood.  Flowed nice passing a couple of gutsy 60ish ladies as we went.  A quick regroup at the ruins and then we headed down.  Bugs taking the lead.  Good run but I stuffed up the 1 little bit in Gloomy Gulch before continuing.  Just flowed from here.  Got the last rocky hairpin that now has the new line.  Stuffed up the 1st rock and cleaned the 2nd.  Down Ct Thomas having a great run.  Tinks and I walked the last rock while the others rolled it.  Down we went.  Happy lads at the bottom.  Dot com for drinks before a steady run home.  Nice ride. 34km basically.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1320247511

Meantime, priorly, ie the day before, MacGuyver and Mellonfarmer rode the Blowhard, knocking off 1000m of climbing over a 27km sort of round trip, taking a new line down, the Bypass Track into Glentui.  Steep it was...  and hot by the time they'd finished

No comments: