Monday, January 14, 2013

Rubberjaws Holiday rides.

I was up at Marahau again and ready to keep myself in bike shape and to keep the new wheel spinning.
Ride 1.
I headed around the road from camp to Kaitetriteri, about 8km of up and down.  I headed into the MTB park, surprised to see a new track for the start. I headed around Sidewinder, into Swamp Monster onto Glase Runner, Revelation then I headed up Ziggy.  This then allowed me to ride up the newest track called Corkscrew.  This tarts with a little downhill run before climbing up to the top of the hill.  Lots of switchbacks with a few extra switchbacks for luck.  I loved this track really giving it a nudge.  At the top I took the forest road up before taking the forest road out to the Kaiteriteri/Marahau Rd and a quick run back to camp.  2 hour loop at a steady pace.
Ride 2.
A couple of novices from camp agreed to come for a ride so Janine took the 3 of us up to the top of Marahau/Riwaka Rd.  From here we took the fire Rd up and around the top.  I spied a track called upper corkscrew and put that aside for a later date.  We headed down the Corkscrew at a steady pace.  I noticed a track to one side called Dive and thought I will try that later.  At the bottom of cork screw we headed down Big Airs (me getting some Big Airtime) the around Revelation, Gladerunner before heading out a track called Cruise Control.  Easy track but good to give it a pump.  This took us to Half pipe which took us out.  We did a sightseeing visit to the Kaiteri Camp which is shit before taking the 8 km ride up and down to Camp.
Ride 3.
The 3rd ride in 4 days.  Even my day off consisted of an 8km hike.  Janine dropped me off at the same point as ride 2.  After gaining the altitude I took upper Corkscrew.  This is a short steep run with some great jumps. Just have to watch the sharp left hander before the last chute.  Miss this the jump will kill you.  Then I headed down Corkscrew as fast as I could.  Took the hard right into Dive which goes straight down the hill, Cyathea dealbata slapping my face before a couple of hairy turns.  Then the little climb out of Corkscrew before turning right up Big Airs.  This takes you onto Skullduggery which isd a great narrow traverse track.  Watch the dropoffs though.  From here onto Bayview then Tank and a left into the downhill track called Remedy.  This is like the F line.  Fast and furious with a jump over Gladerunner straight into Shady Lady, onto Revelation then up Ziggy and Corkscrew and down the fire road and back to camp.  Awesome pump and I was feeling fine!!!!
Ride 4.
Me and the novices went out again.  Janine dropped us at the top again, They went down Corkscrew and I took the same lines as day 3.  When I came out of Dive I headed up Corkscrew to meet them.  We all then continued down and to the start before retracing our ride back up the corkscrew again.  Came out the fire road once again.

The tracks up here are developing rapidly and the Corkscrew gives you easy access to some great downhill runs.  They are looking at adding 2 more tracks this year.  Oh I look forward to my next holiday.

No comments: