Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rubberjaws first rides 2014 in Marahau

As usual I was camping in Marahau.  I got out for a number of rides including 3 or 4 with Mrs Jaws on the road.  These consisted of road rides and were about 8-10km each. One even included riding to the high point on the Marahau to Kaiteriteri rd.

My own rides started with

A big grind up the Marahau to Riwaka Rd at a steady pace.  At the top i hung a left onto the forest rd with a small climb.  This took me to the Upper Corkscrew.  Had a blast down here (noting a few wet greasy spots around a few jumpy spots) and then into the clearing for a quick check of phone and weather reports (best spot for reception).  Then hit the true Corkscrew at pace, the first steep section got the blood flowing and then into the zig zags of the track.  No one about which was grand.  I cut into the Corkscrew Dive which was a tad greasy and kept me honest. Out at the bottom and then time for another climb.  Blasted up this point and then hung a right into Big Airs which took me up to Skullduggery.  Nice pump around here although one or two real greasy spots in the sheltered areas.  At the end I decided to drop down Rock and Roll.  A first time down here for me.  Obviously hardly ever used but a great downhill.  A bit more technical and steeper than the others.  The bottom third real rutted and overgrown.  Out onto Revelation and then on around to the bottom of Ziggys.  Climbed up here pushing hard to stay on the schedule I had set, then back up Corkscrew to the top.  The steep grunt at the top working me hard.  I then got onto the last climb up the fireroad before a long fast blast down through the forest.  Some of this road is nearly singletrack now which adds to the fun.  Finally got to the high point on the Marahau to Kaiteriteri Rd for a fast blast back to camp.  2 hours which would be my record.

2 days later I set out again trying to mix it up. I headed up the Marahau to Kaiteriteri Rd turning right onto the forest rd at the top.  I know why it is a fast blast down this.  it is a grunty climb which left me sweating hard and breathing heavily.  Grunt grunt grunt until it flattens a bit.  This took me around to Upper Corkscrew, then into corkscrew and down.  I then pumped hard up Revelation onto Glade Runner then into Swamp Monster before attacking the climb up Sidewinder.  From here a swooping and fast blast down halfpipe over the little gap jump and then out of the park and down to the beach.  I rung a mate in cambridge from here before taking the 12km ride around the road back to camp.  A few climbs but nothing too serious.

2 days later I rode with another guy from camp.  he does not like downhills for some reason but is reasonably bike fit.  We did the exact reverse of my 2nd ride which is quite good.

My final rdie was a bit shorter with the grunt up the Marahau to Riwaka Rd, left onto the Forest Rd for a small climb and then left down the Forest Rd for the fast Blast back down to the Marahau to Kaiteriteri Rd and the fast blast back to camp.

All rather good pumps for a bloke on holiday.

No comments: