Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Rubberjaws Holiday adventures.

Off on holiday to Marahau as usual.
my 2nd to last ride for the year was  from Marahau Beach camp along the tarmac and then grunted up the Marahau - Riwaka Rd.  Stayed in the gutter to avoid the cars and campervans.  Good steady climb and then I made the left hand turn into the forestry for a little bit more climbing. Felt quite good at this point.  Around to Upper Corkscrew for a short downhill.  A little bit rutted but rolled well.  Into Jaws for a good run down.  Past a guy who jumped to far and landed on the side of the track.  he was all good.  Continued down enjoying the flow with just enough twists and turns to keep you honest.  Into the bottom half with a little air time and a small grunt before the awesome end run.  Just flows with yumps and jumps.   Climbed up Big Ups to the start of new Big Airs.  This track is certainly made for air time.  Rolled some and launched on others. Took it quitly though.  Good fun.  Returned up Ziggys and then into Corkscrew.  it was hot by this stage and I was pushing as hard as I could. The last 50m of Corkscrew sucked. Onto the fireroad and climbed to the top before heading down the fire road to the Kaiteri -Sandy bay Rd.  Good fast run with some loose shingle keeping me honest.  Drew blood on the gorse along the edge.  from here it was down the road and back to camp.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1923855821

My final ride of 2016 saw me dropped off at the start of the fireroad at the top of the hill.  Rode up and headed towards jaws.  Decided to try something different and headed down velocity.  I had never done the top of this before.  Gosh it was testing.  caused some sphincter clenching and a couple of dabs.  Possibly would of ridden it all if I had a ride partner but was a tad hesitant due to being alone. Steep and rutted with a few big drops along the way.  Felt better the lower I went.  From here I went into Skullduggery which was fun.  Into lower skullduggerry which is quite old skoolish with a few twists turns and rocks.  Up Easy Rider into Cruise Control and then down Shady lady and across the new log bridge.  revelation and then Ziggys, Corkscrew and fire road and back to camp.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1926830909

My first ride of the year started at the riwaka Market.  After having a look around i unloaded my bike and hit the cycle trail.  This runs along the road, through some orchards and then alongside the Kaiteriteri Rd.  After crossing under the road you are then back on Easy Rider inside the MTB park.  I headed up here and decided to hang a left into swish.  This climbed via some switchbacks upto the 2nd half of scoot that took me to Remedy.  A nice downhill that chucks you out above Shady Lady.  Down here i went and at the bottom they have put in a new uphill back to Gladerunner where I hung a left.  This took me back to Swamp Monster which is swoopy and fun.  I climbed back to Cruise Control then Galde Runner, revelation, Ziggys, Corkscrew and then Fireroad back to camp.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1930756898

My last ride of the trip was with a guy from the camp.  A novice off road but what the heck.We headed up the riwaka Rd into the forest, Down Upper Corkscrew which saw him walk a few meters.  Down Jaws.  Slow for me, but he pushed it as hard as he could.  (very Slow) Up Big Ups to Skullduggery and around. Into Scoot and Upper Scoot before heading down Tank to Swamp Monster.  Climbed up to the top and headed down half Pipe before cruising through kaiteriteri and around the road back to camp.  Not a bad ride but not as tough as the others.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1935974495

My first ride at home consisted of a short per funeral/memorial.  I headed around and up Rapaki before hanging left for Montgomery Spur track.  Good loop and then continued up the new rapaki singletrack.  Got steeper and steeper but I managed to ride right to the rock slope.  Walked 7-8meters befor getting back on a grunting to the top.  Returned down the single track but had some walkers get in my way and they were not moving so back onto Rapaki track with a few choice words for a run down here and back to home.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1945388954

No comments: