Monday, October 6, 2014

Saturday 4th October Bugs Solo

Bugs was on the coast so decided on a solo trip up The Croesus. Woke to rain but headed off anyway. Was snowing in the carpark at the bottom so had a coffee then decided to head up as far as I could. The 1st 3/4 of the track was generally ok to ride with snow on the swing bridges and most of the track. There was a couple of trees over the track and one big slip. After that in came a huge hail storm which caused me to shelter under some big trees. (Now I know why we wear helmets). From about 3/4 way up the snow got deeper so I had to push the Giant up. This became harder as it got deeper but I was about a kilometer from the top so carried on. Finally after about 2 hours I reached the Hut. Snow was about a foot deep now. There were 4 trampers in the hut who were getting ready to head down. After a chat with them they left and left me a roaring fire. Lunch and a warm up then into the decent. Caution was the approach at 1st as it was hard to spot rocks and when I got some speed up I would hit some deep snow and slide a little out of control. The further down I went, the faster it got. Unable to feel the fingers at this point but enjoying it all. Flew past the 4 trampers then 3 hunters with rifles and a crossbow. Onwards I went and came around a corner surprising 2 goats on the track. Continued on and surprised another 2 goats further along the track. Into the climb up to the road scaring another goat on the way. Arrived back at the car just as the sun was parting the clouds feeling pumped. 22km and about 4 hours of one of the best tracks in New Zealand.     

No comments: