Sunday, August 18, 2013

Saturday 17th August

Another planting day.  This time the weather was a tad damp as I set off alone heading towards Phatboys place.  A nice steady pace to warm up.  I arrived and to my surprise he was ready to go.  just the two of us though.  We headed around the river red zone on the south side of the avon.  Steady pace all the way, until just before kerres reach where the river was completely across the road.  Slowed down to make sure we did not wear it all then rode in to see if we could take the bridge across.  No bridge there any more so down and around via Wainoni Rd and then back around the river. Stopped at Burwood bridge to look at the reconstruction here and then continued on.  Just before the Brighton bridge we stopped to get some shots of the red zone.  I also discovered I had a nose bleed.  (first one in 20 years).  Got that settled then continued on along the river bank then into the pine trees at South Brighton.  Eventually we were riding into the wind along the last stretch to Southshore spit.  Not a large turnout (Tinkerbell was there having driven) but the weather was holding out with just overcast skies.  Planted furiously and had the bbq afterwards.  The skies strted to let go and a heavy drizzle started to fall.  Phatboy set the pace on the return journey.  I was feeling worse for wear with a blinding headache coming on.  At bridge st we separated with me heading down Dyers while Phatboy took the most direct route to his place.  I was wet by time I got home and pleased with the pace I set after we separated.  I must say I was unwell for the rest of the day which was a bummer.

No comments: