Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturdau 4th may

Got knew forks on my bike last Tuesday and have not been able to ride due to the weather.  Bugs has been in training and flicked a message asking if I wanted to have a ride with him to test them out...so I did.  I rode around and met him at the footbridge on Heathcote Cut at the end of his street.  From here we headed around the river and crossed onto the broken track along the Heathcote by the tunnel roundabout.  I decided to try and get some air at the first little hump but had gear problems instead.  Stopped to find half a tree stuck in my rear derailleur so did some pruning.  Fixed so off we went.  On the single track the bike certainly felt lighter up front (it is by 900gms) and I was enjoying myself.  At Ferrymead Bridge bugs stopped and removed jacket and arm warmers before the uphill.  We rode at a good steady pace up St Andrews Hill then onto major Hornbrook through the little shortcuts and on up to the track off Upper major Hornbrook.  I felt surprisingly chipper at this point while the Speights of the night before was telling on Bugs. Grunted up the single track feeling good, then around to the start of Greenwood.  I was expecting a few puddles and lots of greasy slipperiness but it was in good condition.  The tyres were self cleaning and no real issues as far as grip.  A little chat before I started heading down.  My mind constantly trying to work out how my forks were handling instead of just focusing on the ride so I was a bit slower than normal.  Eventually started to focus and got faster.  At the bottom we clambered over the fence behind four old guys and then headed around and straight into Godley.  A couple of dabs on the first climb but felt quick.  In the end I had time to flick the bike over and tweak the rebound setting at the first cattle stop waiting for Bugs.  Theres been a bit of new chip laid in spots which makes for fast riding plus my folks now felt bloody great.  Those 2 clicks of rebound was what was needed.  Fantastic run down here feeling good then straight into next climb past the Double Crack Rock with no problems, down over PFMTBC Rock (the downhill has once again had some work on it so all the potholes have gone) and a regroup at the top of the Anaconda Trail.  Blasted into the snake, working the bike and myself hard with Bugs close behind, riding the berms quite high.  Bugs got a nice mud trail down his front in one berm but no falls.  The new switchbacks at the bottom just spoil the line so much and slow you down.  Saw some knew work being done to onside but it looks wrong also.  Down the tail we went then up over the Taylor's/Scarborough Rd.  Good steady climb before a flying downhill then along the esplanade and stopped at Dot Com.  A steady clip back along the road via a scenic McCormick's Bay Rd, then single track behind Ferrymead to the roundabout where we parted ways.  I got home pumped and pleased the forks worked so well.  Bring on Craigieburn!!

No comments: