Monday, June 8, 2015

Sunday 7th June

Up early and ready to go.  Shecked the tracks update from the council and it said tracks were closed or at avoid.  No looking good. Outside to meet the boys I went.  Got a text from Sandals saying she would meet us at the top so I warned her that it may be a tarmac ride.  She immediately pulled out.  She was a bit premature.  Tinkerbell, Silverfox, Dozer and Bugs all met me and we headed up Huntsbury (not breaking any records but a steady climb ).  At the top there were heaps of people on the Traverse and Vernon track and the signs said open so we decided to check out Vernon.  Track was in mint condition.  Fast and not slippery.  Raced down here with a quick regroup at the top of Rapaki.  Chatted and decided to look at Witch Hill.  Not signs here but once again the track was in great condition.  Bugs and Dozer then rode the walking track towards Castle Hill while the responsible lads took the road.  Up to Castle Rock with an open sign on it so we took it.  Bugs led followed by me, fox etc.  (tinks was trying out his new platforms so no clips) Track here was greasy at the start but no more than usual.  Got better as we went so we kept the speed up.  No punctures.  Around the road to John Brittan which was short and quick before heading towards Greenwood.  Sign said it was open so we took it.  Mint condition so we pumped through here.  I had a dab in gloomy gulch, cleaned the crappy hairpin corner but munted the rocks at the end.  Dozer and Tinks led into Ct Thomas followed by me.  This is where it got interesting.  I somehow nearly came off going around the first bluff on the shared bit of track.  Never done that before.  The track had a few damp patches but nothing to close a track for.  I cleaned the first rock and 99% of the next.  I think my wheel slipped in the mud as you come off, hit a rock the turned 90 degrees causing me to do a very slow over the bars,  Stayed clipped in which meant I slammed rather well.  Sore wrist, ribs and elbow.  Straightened some bent bars and continued on down.  A graze and bruise on the elbow is all that remains of the incident.  Drinks at Dot Com.  About to ride when I noticed a lack of air in my rear tyre.  No problem pumped it up but when I removed the pump the valve centre came out.  Put that back in and pumped it up again.  Same thing happened.  By this time Dozer and Bugs were gone.  After 5 attempts to get it tight I put in a tube.  How awful is that.  The 3 of us rode back to me.  My body aching the more I rode from the fall.  Wrist got bloody sore but all in all a great ride.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1017678011

No comments: