Monday, January 12, 2015

Friday 2nd January thru to the 8th.

I started the year with a spin on what was to be a favourite circuit.  Pretty much the same as my last ride of 2014 but as I climbed back to the top I took an alternative route down.  The ride flowed so much better and it was not so humid.  Did all the same tracks but instead of heading down the tarmac I headed down a fire road which starts off  pretty level before starting to drop.  As it drops it also becomes more overgrown with gorse whipping at arms and legs.  Nice wide single track really.  Super fun riding until it spits you out at the top off kateriteri- Sandy bay Rd.  This drops you down for a 4km road ride back to camp.  800m of climbing and just over 27km in 2 hours and 8 minutes.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/830554473

I repeated the same course on the 6th at slightly better speed.  On the 4th and the 7th I drove around to Kaiteriteri with Janine and the girls.  The girls went for a walk to look at booty while Janine and I headed into the MTB park for a ride.  This was a doddle for me but a first time event for Janine.  Never ridden up any MTB tracks before so we took it easy.

Headed up Easy Rider and followed this for a while before realising it was heading the wrong way.  Backtracked and headed along Cruise Control.  Janine did not like the drops off the edge but rode the whole thing at a steady pace.  We then headed down Glade Runner.  Slightly older track with a few more twists, turns and tree routes but still easy for me.  The narrow drop had janine squealing then laughing before joining revelation to the the ends.  We then headed back to the car via the road.

The 7th saw us ride up Easy Rider onto Cruise Control.  Instead of going down Glade Runner we went back Via Swamp Monster which is more technical than what Janine had ridden before.  She did really well cleaning all the downs and the grunty little ups.  This track flows into Sidewinder which climbs out towards the start of Cruise Control.  Grunty hairpins abound and all up hill.  Janine clened all but 2 hairpins which blew me away completely.  Kinda proud of her.  Down easy ride and back to the cars.

My last ride of my trip was something different.  We had been to motueka for some food supplies but I stopped at Riwaka.  Hooked into the cycle trail here while Janine drove back to camp.  I followed the trail as it headed towards Kaiteriteri.  A few climbs involved before it cuts into the back end of the MTB park. It climbs up the other end of Easy Ride so I flew up and around here before dropping into Sidewinder, Swampthing, GladeRunner, Revelation and then climbed up Ziggy, into Corkscrew and then took the fire roads back to camp.  21kms.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/836614647

This was my last ride of camp.  Unfortunately while I rode some good trails while away I also drunk heaps so instead of coming back rested, fit and trim I came back rested fit and fatter.  maybe next year.

No comments: