Friday, December 28, 2012

Thursday 27th December

I drove around and picked up The Cook.  We headed up St Andrews Hill, Mt Pleasant and stopped at Upper Major Hornbrook where we were met by Phatboy.  He was looking tired, and I was feeling like I had eaten to much on Xmas and Boxing Days.  I was a tad excited to test out my new wheel so I led off up the hill.  Riding in a bigger gear than normal.  Only problem was my aching knee!! We plowed up here and after scoping new lines into John Brittain track we blasted through here regrouping on the road.  Felt  really good at this point.  Down to Cavindish saddle before hauling up the track.  Still steep and but only tacky after all that rain. Regrouped at the top and then up the last stretch of shingle before leading down towards Greenwood.  I have mastered the  rocky corner and starting to gain speed through the tussocks going down.  Regrouped in a cold wind before heading out towards Mt Pleasant road. The Cook reported a fall onto his back on a rock after hitting a tussock.  I then led off at a good clip cleaning the rocky  section.  Phatboy had a wee tumble but after closer inspection he had a sizeable lump on his leg.  At the road it was a quick turn around riding a reverse of the track ridden so far.   Good pace by all of us really.  Cleaned most of the sections but near the steep rocky  section I had a double knee dab after failing to clean a hairpin.  Regathered and put jackets on at the top before blasting down wards to the saddle, then up the road, into John Brittain and then down the track to the vehicles.  A great ride in great time.  Very pleased with my wheel and I noticed better momentum a few times, ability to ride in bigger gears so a long trip should be better too!!

No comments: