Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunday 5th July

I was never sure if we would get a ride in as the weather was forecast to be bad. When I woke up I only had 1 confirmed rider but after a quick text we had a good party. Tinkerbell, The Goat, Bugs, Geez and Silverfox all showed up and we headed up Huntsbury. Long slog really and I felt it all the way up. The first bit of off road was wet and greasy but a few made it up here. We knew that all the main tracks were at avoid or closed so we hit the tarmac and headed around to the top of Vic Park. We shot down Thompson's track which was open but wet and greasy like never before. Meant a bit of caution. We all cleared the double switchback even though it was greasy as. Rode the road up and around to the top of Worsleys. It looked bad from the top with water laying around as far as you could see. Put my seat real low so I could dab if needed and then we headed down. Goat leading then me followed by the others. Bugs going well for a first time down here. The mud was greasy and dodgy when thin but it soon got real deep in spots. Scary but filled me with adrenaline. Some tosser was digging his 4wd out. It was well stuck and he was pointing down also. He had lots more digging to get it out and my bet is it is still there judging by the rest of the track. I took deep ruts and flowed with the water. Got a good pace on in spots. The goat stopped and we did a regroup and looked at the mud on the rigs. Mmmm all needed a good clean. Carried on down, scared myself in a rut that turned into a mud hole of unlimited depth but managed to save it. Loose and out of this world near the bottom but then we still managed to get there with no offs. The tarmac run saw us clear some mud. Good speed carried into the steep bit of hill. Steady ride home from the bottom trying not to change gears. The single track from Barrington to Colombo was a river of bog and mud. Grinding noises on all the bikes as we rode. Got back to mine where we trickled water on the bikes and got the brush onto them. Funtastic ride in the end but I can not see the tracks getting opened this week. I see another road ride on Tuesday. Might need a beer along the way.

No comments: